Kirwin Tour – Annual – Meeteetse
Annual Kirwin Tour Excursion – Meeteetse Museums
Gold was discovered at Kirwin, high on the Wood River in 1885. By 1894, the Shoshone River Mining Co. formed and the first ore was shipped from Kirwin by mule in 1897. Kirwin became well established, with 200 people and 38 buildings, including boarding houses, a hotel, a sawmill, a post office, stores and houses, but no cemetery, saloons or brothels. The gold and silver mined there was of low quality. A miner was killed in a mine explosion in 1905. In 1907, a savage snowstorm struck, dumping 50 to 100 feet of snow over more than eight days. An avalanche swept down one of the mountains, killing three people. Kirwin residents had to wait until the storm cleared to get word of the deaths to Meeteetse. When the storm cleared and crews began clearing the roads, the people of Kirwin left with what they could carry, leaving sheets on the beds and dishes on the tables. Today, many buildings, remnants of buildings and pieces of mining equipment remain, allowing the visitor a glimpse into the past. Meeteetse Museums, Inc. sponsors an annual trip to Kirwin with speakers who talk about the town, mining, people and the area. An Annual Kirwin Excursion is held on a Saturday, in mid August. The trip is a full day. Participants should bring a lunch and beverages for the day, warm clothes, walking shoes and a camera. Again, four wheel drive or high clearance vehicle is required, and car pooling is encouraged. Donations are accepted. Free Admission.
For additional information contact Meeteetse Museums 307-868-2423.